The Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements 2018 will apply from 1 November 2018 in respect of eligible events that occur on or after that date. All eligible events occurring up to and including 31 October 2018 will be governed by the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) Determination 2017.
Under the joint Australian Government-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements 2018, assistance is provided to alleviate the financial burden on states and territories. It also supports the provision of urgent financial assistance to disaster affected communities.
Under these arrangements, the state or territory government determines which areas receive assistance and what assistance is available to individuals and communities.
Where the arrangements have been activated, the Australian Government may fund up to 75 per cent of the assistance available to individuals and communities. This contribution is delivered through a number of assistance measures and may include:
- personal hardship and distress assistance, including the engagement of a Community Recovery Officer to work with individuals and families receiving personal hardship and distress assistance
- counter disaster operations
- concessional loans or interest subsidies for small businesses and primary producers
- transport freight subsidies for primary producers
- loans and grants to voluntary non-profit organisations and needy individuals
- the reconstruction of essential public assets
- community recovery funds.
In addition, clean-up and recovery grants may be made available to assist businesses, including farm businesses, to resume trading as soon as possible. The grants may be used for clean-up activities, replacement of damaged equipment and stock, and other general repairs.
Disaster recovery funding assistance is delivered through state and territory agencies (ACT, NSW, NT, Qld, SA, Tas, Vic and WA).
For more detailed information refer to the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements 2018 below.
Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements 2018
The Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements 2018 will apply from 1 November 2018, in respect of eligible disasters that occur on or after that date.
The Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements 2018, and associated guidelines are available below: